Skip to main content

Land Use


Land Use Permitting Application Process

 To obtain permits for structures or uses, please download this packet.

Listing files in 'building permit application'

PZC and ZBA Application Fee Schedule  Inland Wetland Application Fee Schedule

Appointments are Highly Recommended

The main responsibilities of the Land Use Department are 1) to provide the Land Use commissions with technical assistance to help them effectively administer their regulations and responsibilities and 2) to guide the public through the Town regulations and permit process. The Land Use Department staff is available to answer questions about regulations, provide assistance with application forms and the permit process, respond to complaints, and enforce the Town's Land Use regulations.

The Land Use provides administrative oversight to the Building Inspector, the Town Engineer, the Conservation Planner, the Fire Marshall, and their staffs. The Land Use also serves as professional staff to and provides technical expertise to the Planning & Zoning Commission and the Zoning Board of Appeals. The Land Use provides reviews of the ordinances and regulations with the Town’s land use boards, Town staff and the Town Attorney. The Land Use also administers the Town’s Support Service fee which allows the land use boards to engage outside consultants to 
review applications when necessary.

The Land Use Department includes the following boards and commissions: Planning Commission, Zoning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, Inland Wetlands Commission, Conservation Commission, and Historic District Commission. Please see the Building and Land Use 
Permitting Application Process document on this website for complete information. For all projects, the public is always advised to consult first with the Quinnipiack Valley Health District - Health Department. Even if you do not think the Health Department should be involved in your plans, please contact a QVHD Sanitarian who will review your proposed project and determine whether Health approval is needed or that a "non-applicable" sign-off is all that is 
The most frequently used application forms for both residential and commercial projects are available on the Town website and in the Land Use Department at the second floor at Town Hall. Our staff will guide you regarding what application forms are required for your specific project and will also help you coordinate your application if your proposed work needs a permit 
from more than one commission.



2024 Consolidated Meeting Schedule

Click here for schedule