An Important Message about the Coronavirus from the First Selectman
March 23, 2020
Dear Bethany Residents:
This is an update to town resources availability throughout the COVID-19 outbreak. The Town of Bethany is taking the following actions to limit the public’s risk of exposure to the virus:
- Town Hall is closed to the public effective Mar 23. Staff is on duty and available during normal business hours by phone or email to assist with requests for an absentee ballot, paying taxes, and applying for a land use permit. See Quick Reference for contact information: Quick Reference Extension Numbers
- TOWN HALL WILL BE CLOSED FOR BUSINESS ON FRI, MAR 27 FOR COMPLETION OF ELECTRICAL WORK IN THE BUILDING.
- Schools across Region 5 including Bethany Community School are closed until further notice.
- Parks and Recreation activities are cancelled until further notice.
- Senior Center activities are cancelled until further notice. Senior Bus Transportation will continue to be available for Medical Appointments ONLY: 203-393-2100 x-1324.
- Clark Memorial Library will be closed until further notice. but residents are encouraged to use online resources whenever possible. If you need your library card renewed, please call 203-393-2103.
I appreciate that these actions may create hardships for some residents. These actions are being taken out of an abundance of caution for general public health and welfare. We continue to follow the recommendations set forth by the State and local health departments. At the present time, there is no known reason to believe that there is any immediate concern in our community, but everyone’s cooperation is necessary to slow the spread of this virus and help protect the community.
I encourage all residents to exercise caution when engaging in daily activities by following the recommendations of the public health officials. The following resources are available to become more informed about the virus and the precautions that should be taken:
Dial 2-1-1 or text CTCOVID to 898211 with questions or concerns
Some of the recommended protocols that health officials encourage us all to follow include:
- It is generally advised to stay away from large gatherings, i.e. social distancing.
- NO handshaking – Use a fist pump or an elbow bump.
- Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches, elevator buttons, etc.
- Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
- Open doors with your closed fist or hip. Do NOT grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door, especially on bathroom and commercial doors. Use a paper towel when available.
- Use disinfectant wipes at stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery stores.
- Wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand-sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
- If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use the crook of your elbow only if you have to.
- You should be washing your hands 8-10 times daily, on average, and every time you use the restroom, you return home and before and after you eat.
We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. Take care of yourselves and follow the health guidance and recommendations shared with you via the media and other department communications.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation as we make decisions for the health and safety of our community. Together we will successfully navigate these uncertain times.
You can check the town website for regular updates at: Town of Bethany This link Bethany-Town-Hall-Online-Access REV 2 provides email addresses, phone numbers and online functions available during this time of uncertainty.
If you have any concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact my office at 203-393-2100 x 1100 or by email me at email@example.com.