Board of Selectmen


Board of Selectmen

The Board of Selectmen, comprised of a First Selectman and two Selectmen, is the executive branch of our municipal government and responsible for the day-to-day operations of the town.  They are elected officials serving two-year terms.  Our municipal elections take place in May in the odd-numbered years. The Board of Selectmen meets on the first Tuesday of each month (unless otherwise noted on the Town calendar) at 7:00 PM in the Selectmen’s Conference Room at Town Hall.  All meetings are open to the public and residents are encouraged to attend.

Elected Officials

Paula Cofrancesco
First Selectman
203-393-2100 x1100

Donald R. Shea, Jr.

Elizabeth A. Appel


Jennifer Cafasso
Selectmen’s Assistant
203-393-2100 X1100

Kelly Charamut
203-393-2100 x1109


Laura Callery
Meeting Minutes Clerk
203-393-2100 X1100

Board of Selectmen
Bethany Town Hall
40 Peck Road
Bethany, CT 06524-3322
203-393-2100 X1100

When are the meetings?

The Board of Selectmen meets regularly at the Town Hall at 7:00 p.m. on the first and third Tuesdays of each month. Any matters needing the attention of the Selectmen may be discussed at any of these regular meetings, which are open to the public. Use contact information below to request addition to agenda or for an appointment:

Board of Selectmen

Bethany Town Hall

40 Peck Road

Bethany, CT 06524

203-393-2100 x1100

First Selectman, 203-393-2100 x1100

Selectmen Assistant, 203-393-2100 x1100

Bookkeeper, 203-393-2100 x1109


What is the Town Meeting all about, and when and where does it take place?

The Annual Town Meeting takes place the third Monday of May at a location to be determined.  It takes place at 7:00PM . The Annual Budget is passed or rejected at this meeting. Capital Expenditures are approved and any other matters proper to come before the electorate, i.e. changes or additions to ordinances, approval of contract for Resident State Troopers.

How do I get appointed to a committee?

Contact the First Selectman or Chairman of either the Republican Town Committee or Democratic Town Committee.

Where do I complain about a nuisance?

Call or give a written complaint to either the First Selectman’s Office or the Planning and Zoning/Inland Wetlands Office.

How should I report a noise complaint?

Please call the Administrative Lieutenant on 203-393-2100 X1129 during regular business hours or Troop I on 203-393-4200 after hours.


Call Land Use Enforcement

Bethany Town Hall

40 Peck Road

Bethany, CT 06524-3338

203-393-2100 x1115

203-393-0828 (fax)

Building Department Clerk, 203-393-2100 x1135

How do I get a road repaired?

By calling either the Highway Department at:

Public Works

Bethany Town Hall

40 Peck Road

Bethany, CT 06524-3338



or the Selectmen’s Office at:

Bethany Town Hall

40 Peck Road

Bethany, CT 06524

203-393-2100 x1100

First Selectman, 203-393-2100 x1100,

Selectmen Assistant, 203-393-2100 x1100,

How do I slow down the traffic?

By calling the Resident Trooper:

Troop I Barricks, 203-393-4200

Resident Trooper David Merriam, 203-393-2100 x1129

What is the address and telephone number of Town Hall?

The Bethany Town Hall is located on 40 Peck Road. The telephone number for the Bethany Town Hall is (203) 393-2100. The department directory will be given by the automated attendant.

How do I get on the Agenda for the Selectmen’s Meeting?

To get on the agenda for the Selectmen’s Meeting call the Selectmen’s Office. Your request will be considered to see if it is an agenda item.

How do I get a copy of past meeting minutes?

Meeting minutes have been archived on the Meeting Minutes Archives on the Home page of the Town website. They can also be obtained for a fee from the Town Clerk’s Office.

How do I get permission to use the Town Hall or Lakeview Lodge for an activity?

Information on rental of the Town Hall gym or the Lakeview Lodge can be obtained by calling the Director of Parks & Recreation on 203-393-2100 X1127.

How do I request a copy of a Public record?

Most documents created or received by the Board of Selectmen are considered “public documents” and are available under the rules of Freedom of Information upon request. To request a copy of a public document please submit the following information to the First Selectmen’s Office or Town Clerk’s Office in writing with your name, address, and the name and date of the document requested. A processing fee of $1.00 per page for information from the land records and $.50 per page for copies of minutes will be charged.

When does the Board of Selectmen meet?

The Board of Selectmen meet the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 7:00 P.M. in the Conference Room of the Bethany Town Hall. Posting of special meeting for all Boards and Commissions are on the bulletin board opposite the Town Clerk’s Office.

What is the form of the Town Government?

The Town of Bethany has a First Selectman and Selectmen form of government with Town Meetings. The specific responsibilities, authority and duties of the Town Government are outlined in the Code of the Town of Bethany. The Selectmen are elected for a 2-year term, and a term of office commencing on the 1 of July of each odd year (i.e.) 2021).

When are Town elections held?

Town elections are held the first Monday of May of each odd numbered year (i.e. 2021).

What are the requirements for voting in Town elections?

Complete information on the requirements for voting in Town election are available from the Town Clerk’s Office.

What are the requirements for running for an elected Town position?

In order to be a candidate for elected office you must first get the endorsement of the political party. If running as an independent you must obtain information from the Town Clerk on how to become such a candidate.

What is the process for having my name placed on the ballot?

You must contact the Town Clerk’s Office to obtain procedures as outlined by Connecticut State Statutes.

How does one get appointed to the Planning and Zoning Commission?

Members of the Planning and Zoning Commission are elected, not appointed.  To become a candidate for this office, you must contact the chair of the Democratic or Republican Town Committee or go to the Connecticut Secretary of State website to find out how to run as an independent candidate.

Are there other Committees I can serve on?

Yes. One can serve on the Conservation Commission, Inland Wetlands Commission, Park and Recreation Commission, Planning and Zoning Commission. Some of these boards and commissions are elected.  If you are interested in running for office, please contact your political party chairman.  See listings under Organizations on Home page.

How often is Bethany Bulletin published?

The Bethany Bulletin is published monthly and is scheduled to hit every mailbox in Bethany by the first of each month. Occasionally, due to late news submission or time sensitive announcements, it may be delivered a few days early or a few days late.