Town Clerk


Town Clerk

William L. Brinton, CCTC, CMC

Town Clerk
203-393-2100 x1104

Fax: 203-393-0821

40 Peck Road
Bethany, CT 06524-3322


Assistant Town Clerks

Nikolas Decker
203-393-2100 X1105

Stephanie Howard
203-393-2100 x1106

General Information

The mission of the Town Clerk’s Office is to preserve and protect all records placed in the custody of this office and to provide courteous, efficient  and professional service to the public.

The Town Clerk is responsible for maintaining records of the Town of Bethany.  As Registrar of Vital Statistics, the Town Clerk issues marriage licenses, and certified copies of births, deaths and marriages. The Land Records date back to 1832 when the town was incorporated.  Also stored in the vault are maps, vital records, minutes of town boards, commissions and town meetings as well as veterans discharges.

Among services provided are issuing dog licenses, notary registrations, Trade Name Certificates and providing a variety of election related duties, including the issuance of absentee ballots.  The Town Clerk’s Office provides customer service to the citizens of Bethany by answering the main telephone line and providing general information.

Land Records

Unlawful Restrictive Covenants

Affidavit Renouncing Unlawful Restrictive Covenant Affidavit
Form Renouncing Unlawful Restrictive Covenant Form
No Fee to Record

Vital Records

Absentee Voting

Trade Name Certificates

Required for individuals conducting business under a name other than their own or under a name other than that of their corporation, LLC or business entity.
Also known as a DBA (doing business as).  A trade name is not the same as a trademark.

  • Trade Name Certificates may be filed in person or by mail.
  • Recording fee is $10, plus $3 to get a Certified Copy for your records.
  • Mail to:          Town Clerk’s Office, 40 Peck Road, Bethany, CT 06524-3322
  • Form can be provided in person for $1 or printed here:  Trade Name Certificate Form
  • Recorded Trade Name Certificates are avaialble to view online with the land records.

Dog Licensing

  • Licensing is done during the month of June.  A $1.00 late penalty is added for each month after July 31st.
    Dog License Information
    2022 Dog License Application
    A rabies certificate from your veterinarian is required when licensing.
    Proof of spay/neuter (if applicable) from your veterinarian is also required.

Notary Public Services

  • No appointment required.  There is a $2.00 fee per seal – cash or check only.
  • We are not authorized to notarize a will.
  • Photo ID required.
  • Authentication/Apostille is only available through the Secretary of the State.

Information for Notary Publics

Public Meetings

  • Receives and files minutes of all town board and commission meetings.
  • Posts notices and agendas of all government bodies.
  • For archived meeting minutes, go to Home page > QUICK LINKS > Meeting Minutes

Other Services

  • Administers the oath of office to elected and appointed official.
  • Responds to inquiries from the public.
  • Records veterans’ discharges.
  • Issues vendor permits.
  • Files Liquor Permits.





Can I get my birth certificate here if I was born in another State but lived here for 20 years?

No. Births do not cross State Lines. Nor do any other Vital Records.

How to obtain a Trade Name Certificate (d/b/a)?

Whenever you are conducting business under a name other than your own or the corporation’s, you must obtain a “doing business as” (dba) certificate from the Town Clerk in the Town where the business is located. The d/b/a/ certificate is maintained in a public file and allows consumers to identify and locate the proprietor.

In Bethany, the filing fee for a d/b/a/ certificate is $10.00. The certificate may be filed in person or by mail.

For further information, call the Town Clerk’s Office.

How do I file a Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)?

When someone offers property as collateral for a debt, the creditor may have the arrangement committed to writing and filed as a lien. The filing must be on a UCC form and should include the names of the debtor and creditor, the amount of the lien and the location and description of the property.

The place where the lien should be filed depends on the type of property offered as collateral. In deciding where to file, remember that the purpose of the lien is to put future creditors on notice of your claim to the property. So, file the lien where future creditors are most likely to look.

If the property offered as collateral is real estate, the lien should be filed with the Bethany Town Clerk.

If personal property such as a car, jewelry or musical instrument is offered as collateral, the lien should be filed with the Secretary of State.

For additional information, call the Bethany Town Clerk’s Office.

How do I know what holidays Town Hall will be closed on?

Please see Home page of this website on lower left-hand column for Holiday Schedule.

When are the minutes of the Town meetings available?

Motions of minutes are filed within 24 hours. The approved minutes from meetings such as the Planning and Zoning Board and Inland Wetlands are posted only after they are accepted. Prior to their acceptance they are not official minutes. This happens at the meeting following the meeting for which the minutes were taken. If a meeting is cancelled this process is delayed. Minutes are filed within one week of their acceptance.

How do I obtain a Liquor License?

Applications for liquor licenses can be obtained from the Secretary of State’s Office, 1-800-509-6000.

Is there any public transportation in Bethany?

There is no public transportation in the Municipality.  For information about senior bus service, please see the Human Services page on this website.

I don’t want any information from my census form to be distributed to anyone without my prior consent. I actually want it on file with the Town Clerk only. Why can’t I do that??

The Law states that the information is a public record unless you are a Public Safety Official.

My organization is planning a raffle. Do we need a permit?

State-required applications are available through the Selectman’s office.

Are Town buildings available for use?

The Bethany Town Hall and Lakeview Lodge are available for use. Reservations and fees are available trough the Selectman’s Office. Insurance is required.

Do I need a pistol permit?

Yes! Call our Administrative Lieutenant on 203-393-2100 X1129 for initial application and any questions you may have about obtaining a pistol permit. Once approved, the Administrative Lieutenant’s office will provide a local permit for carrying a pistol in town. You must apply for a state permit if you are carrying your pistol over the town line.

How do I find out about Meeting dates and hours?

All official town board, commission and committee meetings must be posted with the Town Clerk. Please call 203-393-2100 X1104.

Do I need a permit for a tag sale?

A permit is not needed for a tag sale.

How many tag sales can I hold per year?

Two tag sales are permitted in a calendar year and cannot exceed three days in duration each.

Where can I get a passport in town?

There is no where in Bethany to apply for or obtain a U.S. Passport.  You may apply for a passport at the local Probate Court which is located in Hamden at 2750 Dixwell Avenue and is served by the Honorable Judge Edward C. Burt, Jr., or call his office on 203-287-7082.

You may also obtain complete information about applying for a passport including locations and legal/security requirements by using the US State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs wizard.

How can I get working papers?

Working papers for students may be obtained at the public high school serving your area of town whether or not you attended that school and at the Superintendent’s Office at the Bethany Community School.

How can I get a voter I.D. card?

Voter registration cards are issued by the Town Clerk upon verification of enrollment by the Registrars of Voters office.

Is the Clerk of the Court, Probate Court Clerk and the Town Clerk one and the same?

No. The Probate Court Clerk handles legal domestic matters such as decedent estates, guardianships, conservatorship and adoptions.  The Town Clerk is responsible for maintaining land records, vital statistics, and all other official records relating to the town and its citizens. It also issues a variety of licenses, certificates and permits.

Can I post signs on utility poles?

Signs that are tacked to utility poles are very dangerous. Many people don’t realize that putting signs on poles endangers line workers who have to climb those poles to make repairs. Staples, nails and tacks used to hang signs on the poles — as well as the signs themselves — can cause very serious damage. Line workers risk injury to themselves and damage to their equipment and protective clothing. If you’re planning a tag sale or some other activity in your neighborhood, please do not post or hang signs to advertise it on utility poles.

Many people don’t realize that posting signs on utility poles is illegal in Connecticut (Section 23-65a. of the General Statutes) and carries a $50 fine.

How are fees and charges set in the Town Clerk’s Office?

Almost all fees are set by state statute.

What determines whether or not a building is historic?

Generally speaking, a building must be at least 50 years old and retain a majority of its original features. Association with a significant individual or event is also a consideration.

How do I obtain an Absentee Ballot?

Registered Voters
You my obtain an Absentee Ballot application from the Town Clerk Monday through Friday. 9am – 4:30pm starting 30-days before an election.  You may also print and mail an Absentee Ballot application for state, local or federal elections on the Secretary of State’s website Print Absentee Ballot Application.  

Deployed Military Personnel Federal Voting Assistance Program
Federal Post Card Applications are available to deployed Uniformed Service members and their families living abroad. These cards are used to register to vote, request an Absentee Ballot and update your contact information.

Americans Living Abroad
Voting While Living Outside the U.S.


rss-icon Latest News