Registrar of Voters
The Registrars of Voters are responsible for maintaining an accurate voter list and supervising all town, state and federal elections in a non-partisan and fair manner. The Registrars also register new voters and remove the names of persons who had died or moved out of Bethany. The gradual increase in Bethany’s population is usually accompanied by an increase in the number of registered voters. Voter registration is the responsibility of residents themselves to register to vote in Bethany. The Registrars are happy to assist voters with any questions regarding voter registration or elections.
Shannon Lane (D)
Amy Lestinsky (R)
Registrar of Voters
40 Peck Road
Bethany, CT 06524-3322
Am I registered to vote in Bethany?
You may use this link to the Secretary of the State’s website to check. You may also call or e-mail us – we would be happy to confirm your voting status. http://www.dir.ct.gov/sots/LookUp.aspx
What are the registration requirements?
To register to vote in Bethany, a person must be (1) a U.S. citizen, (2) a resident of Bethany, (3) at least 17 years of age (but 18 to vote), and (4) if convicted of a disenfranchising felony, released from confinement and parole.
What are the registration deadlines?
Before a referendum: Residents may register to vote up to the day before. Before a primary: Mailed in registrations must be postmarked by 5 days before the primary date; residents may register in person by 12:00 noon of the last business day before the primary. In Connecticut, voters must be affiliated with the party holding the primary in order to participate.* Before a regular election, mail-in registrations must be postmarked by the 14th day before Election Day; residents may register in person by the 7th day before the election.
Can I get a mail-in voter registration card?
Mail-in voter registration cards are available at the Town Clerk’s office and the Clark Memorial Library.
How do I change my name, address or party affiliation?
Changes of address, party affiliation or name can be made with the same mail-in registrations cards. *Please note that if you are switching between major parties (for example, before a primary), there is a 90 day waiting period before party privileges mature.
Who is eligible to vote in referenda?
Those eligible to vote in referenda are (1) registered voters or (2) U.S. citizens who are 18 years of age and liable for taxes on property assessed at not less than $1,000 on the last-completed Grand List.
When are elections held?
In even-numbered years, Election Day is the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November. In odd-numbered years, it is the first Monday of May. Also in May, traditionally the Amity Regional School budget goes to referendum every year on the first Tuesday or Wednesday.
How can I vote absentee?
Absentee ballots are handled by the Town Clerk’s office. The process involves (1) applying for an absentee ballot, and (2) receiving, filling out, and delivering the ballot. Both steps can be carried out in person at the Town Clerk’s office or by mail. If you send your ballot by mail, be sure to give enough time for the Post Office to deliver it before Election Day. Any vote arriving after the last delivery does not count!
How can I work at the polls?
Working as an election official can be a rewarding and interesting experience. You may either check off the box when you register to vote or call the Registrars to express your interest.
How do I obtain an Absentee Ballot?
You my obtain an Absentee Ballot application from the Town Clerk Monday through Friday. 9am – 4:30pm starting 30-days before an election. You may also print and mail an Absentee Ballot application for state, local or federal elections on the Secretary of State’s website Print Absentee Ballot Application.
Deployed Military Personnel Federal Voting Assistance Program
Federal Post Card Applications are available to deployed Uniformed Service members and their families living abroad. These cards are used to register to vote, request an Absentee Ballot and update your contact information.
Americans Living Abroad
Voting While Living Outside the U.S.
- APPROVED BUDGETS FOR FY 2021-22 The following budgets were approved at the Annual Town Meeting held on May 26, 2021. Expense Budget FY 2021-22 APPROVED Projected Revenue FY 2021-22 APPROVED Capital Budget FY 2021-22 APPROVED 5-Year Capital Plan FY 2021-22 APPROVED
- Meeting Minutes Archives – Temporary Site Click Here for Archived Meeting Minutes through July, 2020 Board of Selectmen Board of Selectmen Meeting Minutes 8-4-2020 APPROVED Board of Selectmen Special Meeting Minutes 8-10-2020 APPROVED Board of Selectmen Meeting Minutes 8-18-2020 APPROVED Board of Selectmen Meeting Minutes 9-1-2020 APPROVED Board of Selectmen Meeting Minutes 9-15-2020 APPROVED Board of Selectmen Meeting Minutes 10-6-2020 APPROVED Board of Selectmen Meeting Minutes 10-20-2020 APPROVED Board of ...
- ZONING REGULATIONS EFF 01-10-2021 TOWN OF BETHANY ZONING REGULATIONS- EFFECTIVE JANUARY 10 2021
- COVID-19 REPORT Hello Bethany, It is Thursday, May 27th. Here is the weekly COVID-19 update: I am happy to report that we continue to be in the GREY! Please remain diligent in following any guidelines and protocols even though many people have received vaccinations. There are still some who have not gotten theirs yet. A reminder: All data reported is preliminary ...
- JOB POSTINGS Job Posting - Director of Public Works Job Posting - P-T Recycle Attendant (FINAL) (New) Job Posting - Zoning Enforcement/Wetlands Officer v2
- VIRTUAL BULLETIN BOARD CT State Statute that requires public posting of meeting notices and agendas at least 24 hours prior to the meeting. This page will serve as a Virtual Bulletin Board for Meeting Notices and associated Agendas that have been posted to the Town Clerk's bulletin board outside of that office until further notice. Public Information About Tax ...
- 2020 – 2024 Bethany Community School Contracts BCS FINAL 2021-2024 Teacher (Bethany Education Assn) Contract 2021-2024 BCS FINAL 2020- 2023 Contract-Superintendent BCS FINAL 2020-2021 Annual Salary Notice - Finance Coordinator Salary BCS FINAL 2020-2023 Contract-Principal BCS FINAL 2020-2023 Contract-Director of Special Education BCS FINAL 2020-2021 IT Director Salary Agreement
- LAND USE – 2021-22 CONSOLIDATED MEETING SCHEDULE Click on the link below to view the consolidated schedule for monthly meetings and filing deadlines for Planning & Zoning, Inland Wetlands and Zoning Board of Appeals. All meeting as of March 23, 2020 are virtual and conducted via Zoom. Go to Virtual Bulletin Board under QUICK LINKS to obtain the meeting notice, agenda and ...
- EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT CARS….. Here are a few guidelines to help you to avoid confusion with municipal taxes on Motor Vehicles. Keep in mind that the Grand List year runs from October 1st to September 30th. So for example, our Assessor pulled the 2019 Grand List from DMV for all the vehicle records showing Bethany as the Tax Town ...
- Bethany Bulletin Archives Bethany Bulletin June 2021 Bethany Bulletin_April 2021 Bethany Bulletin - March 2021 Bethany Bulletin - February 2021 Bethany Bulletin - January 2021 Bethany Bulletin - December 2020 Bethany Bulletin - November 2020 Bethany Bulletin_October 2020 Bethany Bulletin_September 2020 Bethany Bulletin_August 2020 Bethany Bulletin_July 2020 Bethany Bulletin_June 2020 Bethany Bulletin May 2020 Bethany Bulletin - April 2020 Bethany Bulletin - March 2020 Bethany Bulletin February 2020 Bethany Bulletin_January 2020 Bethany Bulletin December 2019-2 Bethany ...