Building and Land Use


Lina Frazer
Land Use Administrator/ Zoning Enforcement Officer/Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer
203-393-2100 x1115

Building & Land Use Administrator Hours: Mondays through Friday, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM

Building Clerk Hours of Operation (1)

Intro to Building Permits (1)

Building Department Permit Fees

Intro to Mechanical Permits (1)

Building Department Clerk
203-393-2100 X1135 (Click on document above for hours of operation)

Laura Callery
Meeting Minutes Clerk
203-393-2100 X1115

Robert Walsh
Building Official
203-393-2100 x1116

Brian Donovan
Assistant Building Inspector
203-393-2100 x1117

Building Official Hours: By Appointment

Building & Land Use Address

Bethany Town Hall
40 Peck Road
Bethany, CT 06524-3322


Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2020

CT NEMO Program

Complete Guide to Flood Safety & Preparedness


1 Land Use Owners Authorization Permit Rev Jan 2019

2 Land Use Inspection Process Form Oct 2021

3 General Building Permit Form Rev Jan 2019

4 Foundation Permit Form Rev Jan 2019

5 Superstructure Permit Form Rev Jan 2019

6 Demolition Permit Form Rev Jan 2019

7 Driveway Interface – Road Excavation 2020

8 Electrical Permit Form_2019

9 HVAC Permit_2019

10 Plumbing Permit Form_2019 Form_2019

10A-Water Pump System Permit

11 Pool Permit Form Info_2019

12-Solar Permit Application_Sep2017

13 Building Tenant Fit-Out Permit Form_2019 

14 Administrative Zoning Permit Application_2019

15-RRP Poster

16-RRP Brochure

17-Lead Paint Homeowners

18 Workers Compensation 7a_2019

19 Workers Compensation 7b_2019 

20 Workers Compensation 7c_2019 

21-Obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy – Residential CO_Sep2017

A-Solar CT-Structural-Review-Worksheet_2019

B- Solar PV Permit Application_Standalone_1 15 15 (2019)

C- Solar-PV Application Checklist_2019


What do I need to do before applying for a mechanical or building permit?

All required documentation and construction information must be submitted with any Mechanical or Building Permit Application

The following approvals are necessary from each of the departments BEFORE applying for a building permit:

  • Inland Wetlands
  • Zoning Enforcement Office
  • Health Department (QVHD)
  • Highway Department

If any of the above departments request plan revisions during the review process, it is the applicant’s responsibility to re-circulate these revised plans for approval.

Where do I go to get a Building Permit?

Applications for Building and Mechanical Permits along with information on all requirements for such applications can be obtained in the Building and Land Use office at the Bethany Town Hall at 40 Peck Road.

I would like to install a pool or spa in my rear yard. Do I need a permit from the Town?

Swimming pools and spas require a building permit that must first be approved by the Zoning Enforcement Officer and then the Building Department. You will need to have at least 50 feet of clearance between your property line and a pool or spa.

I plan to build a deck in my back yard. Does this require a Zoning and Building permit?

Both Zoning and Building Permits are required for all decks.

I plan to install or modify a driveway that interfaces with a State or Town road. Do I need a permit?

A D.O.T. permit is required for a State road and a Town permit is needed for a Town road.

Do I need a building permit to put on siding or a new roof?

Yes, A Building Permit is required for each.

How can I acquire a Building Permit?

Contact the Building/Land Use Administrative Assistant, Zoning Enforcement Officer/Land Use Administrator, Assistant Zoning Enforcement Officer, Building Official or Assistant Building Official for details relative to your specific proposal.

Is there a charge for Building Permits?

Yes. The fee is based on the value of the improvement.

Do I need a permit for a shed?


What are the residential setbacks?

Setbacks for most structures is 50 feet from any property line.  Small sheds under 200 square feet may be allowed as close as 20 feet under certain circumstances.

When do I need a Building Permit?

An application shall be submitted to the Code Official for the following activities, and these activities shall not commence without a permit being issued:

  • Construct or alter a structure

  • Construct an addition

  • Demolish or move a structure

  • Make a change of occupancy (Commercial)

  • Install or alter any equipment which is regulated by the Connecticut Basic Building Code

How long does it take to get a building permit?

Typically, an application for a permit is processed with little delay. If all required land use permits have been obtained issuance of Building Permits may take approximately 1 week. The State Building Code allows 30 days for permit application review.

Why are building permits required?

Building permits provide a means for code officials to protect the public by reviewing all building plans with the intent to reduce the potential of hazardous, unsafe construction thereby ensuring public health, safety and welfare.

What are my setbacks?

Zoning “setbacks” are required for all structures (buildings, sheds, swimming pools, tennis courts, above ground tanks, etc.) Refer to the Bethany Zoning Regulations.

What are the requirements for fences?

Fences are regulated in two (2) ways. Swimming pool fences are regulated by the State Building Code. Boundary/privacy/decorative fences over 6 feet high are considered structures. No fence of any type may be placed or altered within the Town right-of-way. Fences must not restrict/obstruct vehicle sight line for any roadway/driveway as may be determined by the Town’s Public Works Director. Fences in commercial zones may require review/approval by the Planning and Zoning Commission.

My neighbor is building something on his property (or digging a hole), etc. How do I find out what is he doing?

Unless there is a compelling reason to the contrary, speak directly to the neighbor. The best opportunity to resolve a potential issue exists before a formal inquiry or enforcement action takes place. If this is not possible, or if a problem remains, contact the Building and Land Use Administrative Assistant or Building and Land Use Administrator. Please have the correct street address and owner’s name available.

My neighbor is excavating an area I feel is wetlands. What I should I do?

Contact the Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer on 203-393-2100 X135.

Where is the boundary line between my property and the Town roadway?

A line of possession known as the “right-of-way” limit divides property owners’ land and the Town’s adjacent roadside land. This boundary line may be shown on an official survey. Copies of property surveys are generally filed with the Town Clerk.

If you are planning on performing any work along your road frontage such as installing any utilities, fencing, landscaping, etc.; you should contact the Department of Public Works to determine the limits of the right-of-way.

What is the best way to ward off carbon monoxide poisoning?

The best way to ward off carbon monoxide poisoning is to have your furnace serviced and chimney inspected every year. Wood and coal stoves should be cleaned and checked every year as well. Carbon Monoxide detectors have proven to be life savers.

rss-icon Latest News