Registrar of Voters
The Registrars of Voters are responsible for maintaining an accurate voter list and supervising all town, state and federal elections in a non-partisan and fair manner. The Registrars also register new voters and remove the names of persons who had died or moved out of Bethany. The gradual increase in Bethany’s population is usually accompanied by an increase in the number of registered voters. Voter registration is the responsibility of residents themselves to register to vote in Bethany. The Registrars are happy to assist voters with any questions regarding voter registration or elections.
Shannon Lane (D)
Janet B. Hescock (R)
Registrar of Voters
40 Peck Road
Bethany, CT 06524-3322
Am I registered to vote in Bethany?
You may use this link to the Secretary of the State’s website to check. You may also call or e-mail us – we would be happy to confirm your voting status. http://www.dir.ct.gov/sots/LookUp.aspx
What are the registration requirements?
To register to vote in Bethany, a person must be (1) a U.S. citizen, (2) a resident of Bethany, (3) at least 17 years of age (but 18 to vote), and (4) if convicted of a disenfranchising felony, released from confinement and parole.
What are the registration deadlines?
Before a referendum: Residents may register to vote up to the day before. Before a primary: Mailed in registrations must be postmarked by 5 days before the primary date; residents may register in person by 12:00 noon of the last business day before the primary. In Connecticut, voters must be affiliated with the party holding the primary in order to participate.* Before a regular election, mail-in registrations must be postmarked by the 14th day before Election Day; residents may register in person by the 7th day before the election.
Can I get a mail-in voter registration card?
Mail-in voter registration cards are available at the Town Clerk’s office and the Clark Memorial Library.
How do I change my name, address or party affiliation?
Changes of address, party affiliation or name can be made with the same mail-in registrations cards. *Please note that if you are switching between major parties (for example, before a primary), there is a 90 day waiting period before party privileges mature.
Who is eligible to vote in referenda?
Those eligible to vote in referenda are (1) registered voters or (2) U.S. citizens who are 18 years of age and liable for taxes on property assessed at not less than $1,000 on the last-completed Grand List.
When are elections held?
In even-numbered years, Election Day is the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November. In odd-numbered years, it is the first Monday of May. Also in May, traditionally the Amity Regional School budget goes to referendum every year on the first Tuesday or Wednesday.
How can I vote absentee?
Absentee ballots are handled by the Town Clerk’s office. The process involves (1) applying for an absentee ballot, and (2) receiving, filling out, and delivering the ballot. Both steps can be carried out in person at the Town Clerk’s office or by mail. If you send your ballot by mail, be sure to give enough time for the Post Office to deliver it before Election Day. Any vote arriving after the last delivery does not count!
How can I work at the polls?
Working as an election official can be a rewarding and interesting experience. You may either check off the box when you register to vote or call the Registrars to express your interest.
- NOTICE FROM REGISTRARS – PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY VOTING Please see notice below for deadlines and instructions that will enable you to vote in the Presidential Primary on April 25, 2020. Notice from Bethany Registrars
- CONSERVATION COMMISSION SEEKING CANDIDATES FOR CONSERVATIONIST OF THE YEAR The Bethany Conservation Commission presents this award to recognize excellence in environmental protection or significant contributions (including finances, resources, time or effort) to the advancement of conservation. Eligible Nominees Individuals Educational Institutions Nonprofit organizations Local, state and federal governmental agencies Corporations and other business entities (not nonprofit organizations) The nominees need not be Bethany residents/organizations but the ...
- **RESULTS**AMITY REGION 5 – BOND REFERENDUM DECEMBER 4, 2019 EXPLANATORY TEXT on BONDING REFERENDUM (2019) BALLOT VERBIAGE: SHALL REGIONAL SCHOOL DISTRICT NUMBER 5 APPROPRIATE $3,194,300 AND AUTHORIZE THE ISSUE OF BONDS AND TEMPORARY NOTES IN THE SAME AMOUNT FOR VARIOUS IMPROVEMENTS AT AMITY REGIONAL HIGH SCHOOL, AMITY MIDDLE SCHOOL, BETHANY CAMPUS AND AMITY MIDDLE, BETHANY CAMPUS AND AMITY MIDDLE SCHOOL, ORANGE CAMPUS? ...
- REVIEW LATEST ZONING REGULATIONS The Bethany Planning and Zoning Commission has been in the process of revising the Zoning Regulations. You will find a copy of the draft Zoning Regulations with a copy of a summary of the revisions below and also a hard copy at the Clark Memorial Library for your review. The Planning and Zoning Commission has scheduled ...
- Clark Memorial Library Announcement Clark Memorial Library October 7, 2019 The Bethany Library Association announces, with great sadness, the departure of Melissa Canham-Clyne as Director of Clark Memorial Library effective January 1, 2020. For the past seven years, Melissa has played a critical role in the development, growth and success of the Clark Memorial Library. We will miss her and her ...
- 2019-2020 BCS Contracts 2019-2020 BCS IT Director-Salary Agreement 2019-2020 Business Manager-Salary Agreement BCS Facilities Manager-Salary Agreement 2019-2020 Contract-Principal 2019-2022 Contract-Director 2019-2020 Contract-Superintendent
- Amity Reg 5 Announces 2019-20 Contracts Director of Facilities -J. Saisa 19-20 Asst. Dir of Finance Admin-Kovalik 2019 Director of Tech-DeRosa 2019 Dir of Finance Admin Lumas 2019 Supt of Schools-Byars 2019
- LAND USE – CONSOLIDATED MEETING SCHEDULE Click on the link below to view the consolidated schedule for monthly meetings and filing deadlines for Planning & Zoning, Inland Wetlands and Zoning Board of Appeals. 2019 Consolidated Land Use Meeting Schedule
- EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT CARS….. Here are a few guidelines to help you to avoid confusion with municipal taxes on Motor Vehicles. Keep in mind that the Grand List year runs from October 1st to September 30th. So for example, our Assessor pulled the 2017 Grand List from DMV for all the vehicle records showing Bethany as the Tax Town ...
- Bethany Bulletin Archives Bethany Bulletin December 2019 Bethany Bulletin November 2019 Bethany Bulletin October 2019 Bethany Bulletin September 2019 Bethany Bulletin August 2019 Bethany Bulletin July 2019 Bethany Bulletin June 2019 Bethany Bulletin May 2019 Bethany Bulletin April 2019 Bethany Bulletin March 2019 Bethany Bulletin February 2019 Bethany Bulletin_January 2019 Bethany Bulletin_December 2018 Bethany Bulletin_November 2018 Bethany Bulletin_October 2018 Bethany Bulletin_September 2018 Bethany Bulletin_August 2018 Bethany Bulletin_July 2018 Bethany Bulletin_June 2018 Bethany Bulletin_May 2018 Bethany Bulletin April_2018 Bethany Bulletin ...