Registrar of Voters
The Registrars of Voters are responsible for maintaining an accurate voter list and supervising all town, state and federal elections in a non-partisan and fair manner. The Registrars also register new voters and remove the names of persons who had died or moved out of Bethany. The gradual increase in Bethany’s population is usually accompanied by an increase in the number of registered voters. Voter registration is the responsibility of residents themselves to register to vote in Bethany. The Registrars are happy to assist voters with any questions regarding voter registration or elections.
Janet B. Hescock (R)
Registrar of Voters
40 Peck Road
Bethany, CT 06524-3322
Am I registered to vote in Bethany?
You may use this link to the Secretary of the State’s website to check. You may also call or e-mail us – we would be happy to confirm your voting status. http://www.dir.ct.gov/sots/LookUp.aspx
What are the registration requirements?
To register to vote in Bethany, a person must be (1) a U.S. citizen, (2) a resident of Bethany, (3) at least 17 years of age (but 18 to vote), and (4) if convicted of a disenfranchising felony, released from confinement and parole.
What are the registration deadlines?
Before a referendum: Residents may register to vote up to the day before. Before a primary: Mailed in registrations must be postmarked by 5 days before the primary date; residents may register in person by 12:00 noon of the last business day before the primary. In Connecticut, voters must be affiliated with the party holding the primary in order to participate.* Before a regular election, mail-in registrations must be postmarked by the 14th day before Election Day; residents may register in person by the 7th day before the election.
Can I get a mail-in voter registration card?
Mail-in voter registration cards are available at the Town Clerk’s office and the Clark Memorial Library.
How do I change my name, address or party affiliation?
Changes of address, party affiliation or name can be made with the same mail-in registrations cards. *Please note that if you are switching between major parties (for example, before a primary), there is a 90 day waiting period before party privileges mature.
Who is eligible to vote in referenda?
Those eligible to vote in referenda are (1) registered voters or (2) U.S. citizens who are 18 years of age and liable for taxes on property assessed at not less than $1,000 on the last-completed Grand List.
When are elections held?
In even-numbered years, Election Day is the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November. In odd-numbered years, it is the first Monday of May. Also in May, traditionally the Amity Regional School budget goes to referendum every year on the first Tuesday or Wednesday.
How can I vote absentee?
Absentee ballots are handled by the Town Clerk’s office. The process involves (1) applying for an absentee ballot, and (2) receiving, filling out, and delivering the ballot. Both steps can be carried out in person at the Town Clerk’s office or by mail. If you send your ballot by mail, be sure to give enough time for the Post Office to deliver it before Election Day. Any vote arriving after the last delivery does not count!
How can I work at the polls?
Working as an election official can be a rewarding and interesting experience. You may either check off the box when you register to vote or call the Registrars to express your interest.
- Amity Reg 5 Announces 2019-20 Contracts Director of Facilities -J. Saisa 19-20 Asst. Dir of Finance Admin-Kovalik 2019 Director of Tech-DeRosa 2019 Dir of Finance Admin Lumas 2019 Supt of Schools-Byars 2019
- EVERSOURCE NEWS RELEASE Eversource is Prepared for Extended High Heat and Increased Electricity Demand Energy company offers ways to keep cool and save energy BERLIN, Conn. (July 16, 2019) – With sweltering heat and high humidity across the region over the next several days, air conditioners and fans are expected to be working overtime. Though high electricity usage during ...
- ANNUAL NON RESIDENT PARK PERMIT APPLICATION ANNUAL NON RESIDENT PARK PERMIT APPLICATION For questions, please call Parks and Recreation on 203-393-2100 X1127 or the Tax Office on X1110.
- LAND USE – CONSOLIDATED MEETING SCHEDULE Click on the link below to view the consolidated schedule for monthly meetings and filing deadlines for Planning & Zoning, Inland Wetlands and Zoning Board of Appeals. 2019 Consolidated Land Use Meeting Schedule
- PRESS RELEASE – Veteran’s Exemptions Notice OFFICE OF THE ASSESSOR TOWN OF BETHANY 40 Peck Road Bethany, CT 06524-3378 Telephone: (203) 393-2100 x 1112 Fax (203) 393-0828 PRESS RELEASE Additional Veterans and Local ...
- EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT CARS….. Here are a few guidelines to help you to avoid confusion with municipal taxes on Motor Vehicles. Keep in mind that the Grand List year runs from October 1st to September 30th. So for example, our Assessor pulled the 2017 Grand List from DMV for all the vehicle records showing Bethany as the Tax Town ...
- Bethany Bulletin Archives Bethany Bulletin June 2019 Bethany Bulletin May 2019 Bethany Bulletin April 2019 Bethany Bulletin March 2019 Bethany Bulletin February 2019 Bethany Bulletin_January 2019 Bethany Bulletin_December 2018 Bethany Bulletin_November 2018 Bethany Bulletin_October 2018 Bethany Bulletin_September 2018 Bethany Bulletin_August 2018 Bethany Bulletin_July 2018 Bethany Bulletin_June 2018 Bethany Bulletin_May 2018 Bethany Bulletin April_2018 Bethany Bulletin - March 2018 Bethany Bulletin_Feb 2018
- What’s New at Parks & Rec? 40 Peck Road Bethany, CT 06524 203-393-2100 X1127 Adult Zumba and Cardio Program Bethany Vet's Park Non Resident NON RESIDENT PARK PERMIT APPLICATION Rec Room.doc 2018-2019 JCIT Application 2019 CIT Application 2019 YES Soccer Camp 2019 Summer Camp 2019 Brochure Interim Camps 2019
- HUMAN SERVICES PROGRAMS Please call Human Services Director, Jeanne DelVecchio on 203-393-2100 X1124 with questions related to any of these programs. The Fuel Assistance Program applications are being accepted until May 1, 2018 although the program is subject to change without notice. Please contact Jeanne DelVecchio (above) for an appointment. Library Service for Bethany Homebound Residents Discreet Undergarment Banking Library Service for ...
- 2017 Storm Water Management Plan DRAFT The Town of Bethany originally submitted a two-part registration form as required under the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection "General Permit for the Discharge of Storm Water from Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4). Part A, which is referred to as the "Municipal Notice of Intent"was submitted in April, 2004, Part B, which is ...